If you were to scroll through your social feeds right now for a few seconds, you’d likely see many videos from friends, advertisers, and businesses. By conveying your message in an engaging way, video is a huge part of how content is produced and shared on the internet today. Like any tool, the better you understand it, the better it can work for your purposes.
Explore how this medium fits into your overall digital content strategy by carefully planning the video marketing strategy of your business or organization. With effective video, you can better build your brand online. Let’s take a deeper dive on what makes a successful video.
1. Listening Tactics
Pay attention to how people (especially competitors) are using the internet when it comes to your industry or area of expertise. Digital marketers are only successful when they have a grasp on what ecosystem they’re trying to navigate. Listening is one of the most important steps in any digital marketing strategy and video marketing is no exception. Dig in to how you can create awesome, entertaining, interesting, and valuable content by using research tools and exploring what competitors are doing.
Keyword research tools like the Moz’s Keyword Explorer allow you to complete simple keyword research for free. Other tools like Answer the Public allow you to view questions, comparison phrases, and discussion topics people are searching related to the topics of your choice. Simple YouTube and Google searches are also helpful if you want to get an idea of what videos are already out there and generate ideas about how you can structure your video content to stand out.
2. Storytelling Tips
To tell a more memorable and shareable story, it is essential to do the following:
- Clarify the audience and the message. Know who you are talking to and why.
- Draw from real experiences. Use your experience, background, skill, and knowledge.
- Make someone else the star. Move beyond the me, me, me approach.
- Share the struggle. Don’t be afraid to be imperfect and to share your learning process and the obstacles you’ve overcome.
- K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Sweetie and avoid making things more complicated than they are.
Keep in mind, your story is ever-changing, so don’t be afraid to let it evolve. It doesn’t have to be polished. Ask for feedback from people you trust and test story angles to see what gets the best response.
3. Video Styles
There are a wide variety of video styles to choose from. You don’t have to be a talking head on a screen to make for useful, engaging video content. Here are some other examples:
- How to/Explanations/Tutorials
- Product demos
- Answering questions/Solving problems
- Testimonials – share the WHY
- Customer service information
- Photo montage
- Onsite footage/Drone camera footage
- Screen capture
- Live streaming/Real-time coverage
- Educational Webinars
4. Video Creation and Editing Tools
In today’s mobile world, there are many different tools you can use to create and edit video content on almost any device. Here are some of my favorites:
Social Media/Mobile Tools
- Facebook Live
- Instagram apps – Hyperlapse, Boomerang, etc.
- Cameo by Vimeo (iPhone)
- Horizon app
5. Video Distribution Tips
If a video is produced in the woods and no one is around to see it, does it do you any good? Distribution and promotion of your video content are keys to your success. Here are five basic tips to help your video content get more views and engagement.
- Create a branded channel on YouTube.
- Embed videos on your website.
- Optimize video titles and descriptions with relevant keywords.
- Upload to social media accounts and share.
- Share video content in e-newsletters.
Enjoy playing around with these tools when thinking about how video can play a big part in your content strategy.